Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Accounting Jobs and Software

I got an email recently from another blogger, Hunter Richards, who manages the site at http://www.softwareadvice.com/accounting/.  He recently published a study on accounting-related technical skills sought by employers.  I got my start as an accountant, so I found this study very interesting.  I started out my technical career doing international consolidations in spreadsheets.  At the time, I was using Supercalc 5 on a Unix workstation with a 640K DOS partition and 2 diskette drives.  The consolidation macros I wrote prompted me to change diskettes twice for the Balance Sheet and twice for the Income Statement.  Later, I was involved in both an Oracle Financials project and an SAP project at the same company.  I also got really good at Excel and ended up writing Excel books.

Technology certainly made it possible to get me from my accounting background to where I am today.  That being said, the time I spent in accounting was also extremely important as it gave me domain experience in a given field and I use that experience nearly every day. Lesson from it all?  If you an accountant and you learn a technology, you end up an Oracle ACE Director and blog on your experiences?  Well, you never know!

Here is a link to the blog entry.  Enjoy!

http://www.softwareadvice.com/articles/accounting/which-tech-skills-help-accountants-land-jobs/

2 comments:

Doug Burke said...

Tim,

Thank you for sharing the post.

I also started as an accountant and moved to Hyperion as the software (and servers) improved over time. My accounting background is a big plus and allows me to talk the Finance and Accounting talk. Priceless.

rashid1891 said...

Hyperion as the software (and servers) improved over time. My accounting background is a big plus and allows me to talk the Finance and Accounting talk.This is very very good side I like it so much Thanks AS